Counselling is a place where you can talk privately about your life and consider how you would like to move forward. I am a fully qualified counsellor, registered with the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy and committed to offering you a non-judgemental relationship in which you can feel safe exploring your concerns.
Some people use counselling to:
- express feelings or thoughts that they don't feel able to express anywhere else
- work out how they feel and what they think about important events or situations in their life
- explore a problem and perhaps the different options they have [or which a counsellor might suggest] for dealing with that problem
- take time out from difficult situations or feelings
- learn better ways for coping with difficult emotions or situations
It is your space and it is up to you how you'd like to use it [although I will help you to decide if you want]. For many people, just being able to talk and be listened to is a huge relief. Occasionally, people can find counselling hard or upsetting for a time as they work through difficult emotions, but often they find that going through this helps them in the long-term. I will do all I can to make counselling safe and helpful for you.
I have helped adults and teenagers struggling with a wide range of difficulties to find their strengths and move forward in their lives. As well as my private practice, I have worked with a charity to provide counselling to adults and in a FE college with young adults. I have also provided consultation to organisations working with people to support them in developing their well-being provision. I currently work with a national charity offering therapeutic support to children, young people and their carers.
My counselling training integrates insights and techniques from a range of therapies, including psychodynamic and attachment theories, CBT strategies, concepts of narrative and life-stories and aspects of Transactional Analysis. My qualifications include:
- MA in Counselling - University of Manchester
- Certificate in Counselling - Central School of Counselling
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Psychology - Manchester Metropolitan University
- Using Creativity as a Therapeutic Tool in Counselling
- Mindfulness Resiliency Workshop One
- Solution Focused Therapy - BRIEF
- Managing Endings
- Working with Survivors of Trauma
- Trauma and the Body
- Working with Bereavement
- BACP Coaching for a Changing World
- Person-centred Play Therapy Skills
- Introduction to Attachment-based Practice with Adults, Children and Families
- Level One Theraplay
- Multi-Agency Investigation of Child Abuse
- Safeguarding Adults
- Working with Diversity in Counselling
I offer a full 50 minute introductory session for £25; after that, my usual fee is £50 per session but I offer reduced rates for young people and those in financial difficulties.
6a Moor Top Place
Stockport SK4 4ET
My rooms are approximately 15 minutes walk from the A6 and 5 from the DIdsbury-Stockport road. If you are in a car, both of these routes are quicker; SMCP is about a five minute drive from junction 1 of the M60. There are good transport links from central Stockport and south Manchester.